They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but the sea.
- Sir Francis Bacon.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Why not in Greek?

If I were asked three years ago, I would say that a blog in greek would be too parochial in scope.

Although to a certain degree I still believe that, I have come to appreciate blogging in greek. The spontaneous imagery and clarity of meaning evoked when writing in one's mother tongue cannot be achieved with any other language, no matter how good a command of it one has. In addition to that, the greek blogging community has shown excellent signs of maturity, style, wit and emotion. I can now officially admit that I enjoy reading many greek blogs (just because they are greek however? Or is it because they are written in greek? Would I enjoy a greek blog about Germany written by a German philhellene? )

Despite this, however, I cannot but sympathise with the frustration of a foreigner who sees an interesting picture, quote or anything that transcends linguistic barriers, but cannot understand a word of the context within which it is set.

I have always believed in the fundamental greatness of a very popular comment by Wittgenstein : "The limits of my language mean the limits of my world".

Since our language is off limits for the world of most people, I find it easier to bring our world within the limits of their language.

But then why submit to the cultural imperialism of English? And where does it stop? Does it mean that for the sake of international entente we should all speak English or die?

Answers to come soon, in a blog near you...

No comments: