They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but the sea.
- Sir Francis Bacon.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

MY way...

About three years ago, the Thespians of the Theatrical Group of the National Technical University of Athens decided to stage Tom Stoppard's play "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead". My involvement was incidental, since one of the directors was a fellow student in the Athens Medical School, and it grew, from my simple consultation regarding the translation, to cameo appearance in two scenes of the play.

During the long hours of idleness in dense cigarette smoke, there arose conversations of utmost surreal content.


One of them was about the song "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones. It is a song that outlines the Devil and his expressions and manifestations in us all in a most excellent way.
Which then would be the equivalent song for God?

We immediately ruled out classica
l and baroque music with a religious theme, since i) musically it would put the Stones to a great and unfair disadvantage and ii) most of those works were commissioned by the Church and the lyrics were from the Holy Scripture, so this music was self-serving (while we may all agree that neither Mick Jagger nor Keith Richards are - or claim to be the Devil...)

No answer was found that night. Much later I came accross the truth. And the answer was so obvious I could kick myself for not thinking of it at once. Of course, without the surrounding thespian decadence and idleness it became a moot point, but still... that song is the embodiment of EVERYTHING that a man's life should come to. In simple words. Without histrionics. And for reasons of grandiose style alone, the singer and the song would be what God would perform were He to show us the way as an entertainer.


Gentlemen, the one and only...:


MY WAY
(By Claude François, Jacques Revaux and Paul Anca)

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full.
I travelled each and every highway
And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course

Each careful step along the byway,
And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall

And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried.
I've had my fill, my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.


To think I did all that
And may I say - not in a shy way,
"Oh no, oh no not me,
I did it my way".

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught

To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way!

What is there that a man can add to this? To be able to say the words of this song in one's final moments will be the last moment of happiness that this short life of ours can give. And if there were a God, I am certain that this would be the way he made us to His likeness, and this would be the way He would appear, for Frank Sinatra was the epitome of natural grand style.



Now, apart from this song and a couple of others, I am not a huge fan of the Rat Pack. But they were all artists who made an impression being elegant and large, drawing the music industry and the media with them, and not the other way around, as is the case with today's puppet - "artists". Those were the times...Where there was Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles and Dean Martin, we now have Eminem, Snoop Dog, 50Cent, Justin Timberlake... With the old timers gone, popular entertainment has sunk to a woeful all-time low...Pathetic...



Why do I write this? Because yesterday it was Frank Sinatra's birthday, and were he still alive he would be 92 years old. The world misses you Frank...


1 comment:

Dennis said...

That's the way it is George! MY WAY. Since I can not come up with another song for God at the moment,I should agree with you on this one.By the way, ''My Way'' is an excellent Frank Sinatra Collection, representative of his style and attitude.
Today it is almost impossible to find a song with lyrics like this one.The vast majority of popular songs deal with matters ranging from how to play it cool by driving expensive cars and wearing fashionable clothes to how much somebody likes a girl's behind, breasts etc. These are just songs with an expiry date of a year to the best of situations. Afterwards nobody remembers them or feels the need to listen to them.They are passing fads.
I can recall many times that I have caught myself searching for a certain song of ex. Pink Floyd or Queen to listen to. I feel that this can never happen for today's popular songs.
Anyway,closing this post, I shall mention a song that entered my mind while writing that it would be suitable for God. It is ofcourse worse than ''My Way'' but it could be used for God in some perhaps light-hearted occasions...
It's the ''Eye in the Sky'' by Alan Parsons Project:
''Dont think sorrys easily said
Dont try turning tables instead
You've taken lots of chances before
But Im not gonna give anymore
Dont ask me
Thats how it goes
Cause part of me knows what you're thinkin

Don't say words you're gonna regret
Dont let the fire rush to your head
I've heard the accusation before
And I aint gonna take any more
Believe me
The sun in your eyes
Made some of the lies worth believing

Chorus:
I am the eye in the sky
Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules
Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind
And I dont need to see any more
To know that
I can read your mind, I can read your mind

Dont leave false illusions behind
Dont cry cause I ain't chnaging my mind
So find another fool like before
Cause I ain't gonna live anymore believing
Some of the lies while all of the signs are deceiving''