They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but the sea.
- Sir Francis Bacon.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Juletid pt. II : Deck the halls!

Even though Christmas decoration has always been the most important and wonderful aspect of this season, it has always been a matter of controversy in my house.

Because of my parents' line of work, we were not particularly impressed by any kind of ornament. My father was simply bored of the whole affair, while my mother only sought out ways to be innovative.


I, on the other hand, enjoy Christmas and consider it to be the most important holiday season of the year (largely due to the fact that I get more presents than even my birthday).


I have always been keen on the traditional Christmas celebration with a huge banquet with good
wine, stuffed turkey (I find turkey meat rather indifferent, but my mother's stuffing is pure poetry), game (boar or grouse are my favourites, but unfortunately, availability depends on the marksmanship of our relatives...) and assorted gourmet delicacies from around the world and all this... under a f***ing Christmas tree....!!

Yes, I know that plastic ones are outdated, cliche' and awful. I know that natural ones make a mess. And I know that it would make our small living room look cramped. But I wanted a Christmas tree!!!


Only occasionaly did we set up one, until some eight years ago I got serious. Very serious. And from then on things got better and our house started to be decorated traditionally and stopped looking like an atelier for interior design-conscious elves, with lights and huge ribbons suspended randomly about.... This year however, we decided to decorate only as a last-minute call. And there will be no Christmas tree. With the losses of our two good friends this year, it simply does not feel like decorating big time...


We got a few glittery gimmicks on the shelves and tables, we set up Santa corner and my carousel, and although the climate is far from the mourning of spring and early summer, we will spend the holiday without much extravagance, hoping that the years to come will be less painful for us and those we love.


















And you know what... it actually feels mo
re like Christmas this way...

Glad Jul !



PS:
To our "most esteemed" neighbours. STOP. We know we started it. STOP. You, however, do not have to carry on. STOP. If you want to imitate us, then STOP. It was not meant to be this way. STOP. Even the use of Christmas lights needs moderation. STOP.This is not Las Vegas. STOP. Please, please, please... STOP.


2 comments:

Dennis said...

Someone with a good taste for Christmas decoration at last! I am fed up with the millions flashing lights on the roof, on trees, on plants on everything and everywhere! You do not have to act like Chevy Chase in ''Christmas Vacation'' planting a whole roof with flashing lights that require a nuclear power plant to supply them with electricity.
Unfortunately, most of us have lost the sense of simplicity. A greater degree in the complexity of Christmas decoration does not necessarily mean that it is more attractive or more pleasant to the eye. Some small beautiful ornaments,like the pictured ones, at the right place can make the difference and make us feel like ''Christmas''.
PS. A slight objection George. Why 3 Santa Claus'es in the Santa Claus Corner? I think you could make do with just one of them...unless you expect Christmas presents from all three. ;-)

GiorgosPap said...

- dennis: Actuall, I have about 11-12 Santa Claus figures. What you see is only the tip of the iceberg. Most of them are gifts from customers or suppliers.

Anyway, it would be a sad year if I got only 3 presents... :)

For me, Christmas is best depicted in The Nutcracker and Fanny & Alexander films. They display a very heavy decoration (but very tasteful as well).
I am annoyed by the haphazard and the unimaginative. Christmas decoration has a very deep folk background.

We tend to miss it these days.