They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but the sea.
- Sir Francis Bacon.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Betrayal

One thing that all people who claim to know me have to say about me is that I am moral, dignified and trustworthy, a good person all in all.

I sometimes pointed out in vain something. Something that the three or four people who really know me have pointed out themselves: that simply because I am not a cruel-hearted and uncaring bastard does not make me the bastion of dignity, morality and goodness that I choose to put on display.

These virtues that I, along with everybody else who knows them, so admire in my parents are virtues that have to be proven by test in tempering hardships.

I could certainly be conceited, indifferent, cold, uncaring or anything that people born even in the tiniest bit of privillege tend to become. I do believe that I am a good person.

However, the core of these virtues was hardly ever tested in me. Hardly did I ever come to the need to prove anything as in the majority of situations I lorded above my peers.


It has come to pass these past hours, days and months that I have betrayed these things time and again. I have betrayed the virtues I professed belief in, I have betrayed, lied to, hurt and exploited my friends and I have betrayed myself.

I have fallen low. I have irreversibly proven myself weak. Weak and undignified.

Now is the time to set things straight. Try to give back to people that which they have given to me freely, even after I have betrayed their emotions, their love and trust.

I will have to rise up to the challenge (maybe for the first time in my life). And to make the ultimate sacrifice of that which has brought me so low.

"Passion is a strict lord / He is also its humble slave."

Not even passion, not even true love can justify betrayal. And the reckless hurting of other people because one cannot endure the pain. This is High Treason.


Enough. Enough now.







.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Κανείς δεν είναι τέλειος, Γιώργο. Όλοι μας σε κάποια στιγμή της ζωής μας θα πληγώσουμε κάποιον άθελά μας. Θα μείνουμε έκπληκτοι όταν το διαπιστώσουμε, θα ζητήσουμε συγνώμη, αλλά η ζημιά θα έχει γίνει. Αυτό που έχει σημασία είναι τι κάνουμε μετά, πώς συνεχίζουμε, πώς επανορθώνουμε και τι αποφεύγουμε.

Αυτό που πάντα λέω εγώ στους φίλους μου είναι να μου λένε και τα καλά και τα κακά επιτόπου κατά πρόσωπο. Λέω κάτι που είναι λάθος, πες το μου αμέσως! Λέω κάτι που σε πληγώνει, μην κλαις πίσω από την πλάτη μου, ρίξε τα δάκρυα μπροστά μου να συνειδητοποιήσω τα λάθη μου. Ποτέ μου δεν κάνω κάτι με υποκρισία, αλλά καμιά φορά παρεξηγούμαι από απλά διαφορετικές ερμηνείες ίδιου γεγονότος. Δεν κατάλαβες κάτι, ΡΩΤΑ ΜΕ! Κατάλαβες κάτι κακό, επιβεβαίωσέ το! Μόνο έτσι, μόνο με ειλικρίνεια από όλες τις πλευρές δεν υπάρχουνε παρεξηγήσεις και στεναχώριες.

Αλλά να ξέρεις και το άλλο. Κάποιες φορές μας βγάζουνε κακούς από δική τους κακία. Από δικό τους εγωισμό και ζήλια. Να πιστεύεις στην καρδιά σου. Η καλή καρδιά δεν προδίδει ή τουλάχιστον δεν το κάνει επίτηδες. Άμα εσύ ξέρεις μέσα σου ποιος είσαι και τι προσφέρεις, τότε μην βιαστείς να πιστέψεις λόγια αρνητικά. Καμιά φορά τα αρνητικά λόγια είναι αποτέλεσμα άλλων αιτιών που δεν έχουν σχέση με μας, αλλά με τον χαρακτήρα του ατόμου που τα ξεστόμισε. Ποτέ δεν είναι απλές οι φιλίες και οι ανθρώπινες σχέσεις.

Τέλος η λογοδιάρροια. Περισσότερα κάποια άλλη στιγμή. Να ΄σαι καλά!