They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but the sea.
- Sir Francis Bacon.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Silence and distance

Deus ao mar o perigo e o abismo deu,
Mas nele é que espelhou o céu.
----------------------
To the sea God gave gave peril and the abyss
But He also made Heaven to be mirrored in it.

Fernando Pessoa, Mar Português, Mensagem.

The Sea is an enchanting and unforgiving mistress. Her charms are matched only by the dangers that contact with her entails. She brands irrevocably anyone open to her wiles. Out there, the measure of a man's worth is constantly weighed against her seduction at the cost of his own life as well as the lives of his mates.



This mystique is what surrounds populations that come in close contact with the sea and makes them so different. The unmistakable air of cosmopolitan nobility combined with the far-reaching gaze into the sea in search of the beloved ones returning.

I will be returning to her as often as I can. It was about time I started from the basics...



















For those that showed me what all this really means:





"Silence and Distance" (Andre Matos)



Been here for so long
On the morrow I'll dare
Silent and distant
Reaching out, unaware
Stealing the whispers
From my deepest request

And you watch me
Waiting for something new
My hands, as empty
As my body and soul
Could keep pretending
But in the heart I'd be gone...

Still stare at my face
But lost seem your eyes
Keep hold of the sails
Against the blue sky

Ooh, I'm intending
A way back to the sea
This emptiness burns inside
And leads on for endless miles

Don't let me go
Away across the sea,
It may be much more wide
Than what it seems to be

Oh, I'm still searching
The way back to be freed
The loneliness hangs around us
However we can't see

Now let me go
Away across the sea,
The waves can't be as high
As they pretend to be

And now I know
In my heart, I won't forget
The sails against the blue sky
That taught me how to live

... with no sorrow
And tomorrow we'll share
Silence and distance
'till our faults are repaired
You'll be the mistress
Who I'll never forget.

Για το Γιάννη, τη Μαριάννα, τον Πέτρο, τη Ματούλα, τη Μαρίκα, τη Δέσποινα... για τα χρυσά απογεύματα στο Μερσινίδι...

5 comments:

Dennis said...

Very nice post George! It seems that the sea is of great inspiration to you.The sea can affect people's lives and and alter their way of thinking. Take the country-islands,such as England,Malta,Cyprus etc. ,as an example. The fact that they are surrounded by sea has had an impact on their civilisation,culture and in their way of thinking. The inhabitants of the greek islands are another example.
It seems that if you are surrounded by sea you almost always have the sense of infinite if you look at the horizon, where the sky blue and the sea blue meet. This sense can really change your ways.

PS1 Nice photos George. It seems that the bishop is on a missionary expedition...
PS2 Although,I was born on an island and lived there the first 2 years of my life, I can reassure you that I am not a seaman. I prefer just to stare at the sea. But I can not tell what impact,positive or negative or nothing, these years have had on my personality and culture.

GiorgosPap said...

Arrrrrrrrrrr, Dennis, me landlubber laddie... you have a woman's legs!! I'll wager those are legs that have never been sliced clean off by a falling sail, and swept into the sea before your very eyes! Arrr.... shiver me timbers! I'll get me some rum....

Dennis said...

You shall not forget that the contribution of semen, sorry, seamen to humanity can be summarized in the transmission of tropical and venereal diseases as well as the use of tobacco and the expansion of the list of addictive drugs in the old world...

GiorgosPap said...

Just be thankful that I have not taken up flying to join Lord Flashheart and the twenty-minuters to feel the wind rush through my hair!!

Anonymous said...

Το τραγούδι ήταν εξαιρετικό!