They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but the sea.
- Sir Francis Bacon.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Imperial Journey: La Montanara
(Das Lied der Berge)

On May 7, I landed at Charles de Gaulle airport to begin an arduous descent by train across the lands of the overlapping Empires of Europe. Before I write anything about the routes and stops of my imperial journey, I would like to publish some photos of my visit to the Alps, which was probably what moved me the most. Accompanied by a Tölzer Knabenchor video of them singing La Montanara (Das Lied der Berge), the hymn of the mighty Alps, whose lyrics I used as legend for the pictures:





Hörst du das Lied der Berge?
Die Berge sie grüßen dich

(Do you hear the song of the mountains?
The mountains salute you)



Hörst du mein Echo schallen
Und leise verhallen?

(Do you hear my echo ring out
and quiet down? )


Dort wo in blauer Ferne
Die Welten entschwinden
Möcht' ich dich wieder finden
Mein unvergessenes Glück?

(Over there, where the worlds vanish
in the blue distance
may I find you once more,
my unforgettable happiness?)


La Montanara, ohe !!!


Von Ferne rauscht der Wasserfall

(In the distance, the waterfall roars!)



Und durch die grünen Tannen
Bricht silbern das Licht

(And through the green firs
silver the light shines )



La Montanara, ohe !!!

Im Klang alter Lieder
Laut hallt mein Echo wieder
Nur du hörst es nicht

(In the sound of old songs
Loudly my echo rings out
and only you don't hear it)



Weit sind die Schwalben
Nach Süden geflogen
Über die ewigen Berge und Täler

(Away to the south
have the swallows flown
over the eternal mountains and valleys)


Und eine Wolke
Kam einsam gezogen

(And a cloud came,
drawn close, solitary)


Doch wart' ich immer
Vergeblich auf dich...

(Yet I wait for you,
forever in vain...)


PS I: Locations: Airbus A340-300 above the Alps, Innsbruck and surrounding area, Hafelekar mountain summit (2334m ), Swiss-Italian border (Lugano area)

PS II: All photos by me, ©. Click to enlarge.

PS III: No, I did not find a f@#%&ng Edelweiss, it was too early, everything was covered in snow...


PS IV: Dulljöh !


.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Καλά μιλάμε τρελό pwnage το τελευταίο πόστ.Υποκλίνομαι!
:D

Άντε να πάμε για κανά καφέ να μου πεις τις περιπέτειες σου από κοντά!
Πάντος κρίμας που δεν πήρες και τη Βασιλική στο ταξίδι...

GiorgosPap said...

@ hohenstaufen: κοιτα, ηταν λιγο Rammstein η φαση, και σκεφτόμουν συνέχεια εκείνο το ατύχημα στις ιταλικές Άλπεις, που ενα αμερικανικό μαχητικό έκοψε το καλώδιο ενος τελεφερίκ και σκοτωθηκαν όσοι ήταν μέσα, αλλά η θέα ήταν απίστευτη και τα βουνά, άσε καλύτερα...

Αν έπαιρνα μαζί μου κάποια, τί θα έκανα στο Παρίσι ρε; Ούτε Crazy Horse δεν θα πήγαινα. Και η εν λόγω anyway δεν έπαιζε πολύ καιρό πριν πάω. Long story. (Πάλι καλά που λογικά δεν ξέρει οτι υπάρχει αυτό το blog :)))))